Fluidized Bed Boilers
Bubbling Fluidized Bed (BFB) and Circulating Fluidized Bed (CFB) boilers are excellent combustors of biomass and other solid fuels. And similarly to stoker grate boilers, the fuel’s variable moisture content, heating value, size distribution and inconsistent material flow from pile to furnace conspire to make control of the bed temperature problematic and efficient combustion difficult.
A boiler performance review evaluates its systems and controls to determine a benchmark. This benchmark is used to identify existing and potential process bottlenecks, and aids in developing a plan for optimizing combustion and maximizing steam generation from biomass, while reducing the need to co-fire fossil fuel.
Scope of Services
- Field testing to collect operating data and establish performance and baseline conditions.
- Fuel feed system capacity and performance.
- Biomass fuel – composition, heating value, size distribution.
- Engineering evaluation of critical design and operating parameters.
- Analysis of erosion factors.
- Combustion air and flue gas flow via Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) modeling.
- Steam/water circulation analysis via Ultrasonic Flow Metering (UFM).
- Determination of conceptual boiler modifications and budgetary cost estimates for:
- Fuel conversion to supplement biomass burning.
- Over-bed combustion air delivery.
- Addition of in-bed heating surfaces.
- Incineration of High volume low concentration (HVLC) and Low volume high concentration (LVHC) Noncondensable gas (NCG).
- Boiler MACT Compliance Review and Implementation.